We all get tempted over Easter into eating more sweets and chocolates than we usually would despite knowing all the downsides to excessive sugar in diets, so we have a few tips for you to keep your teeth as healthy as possible if you should choose to indulge!
Try to choose sugar free products where possible, most supermarkets have sugar free chocolate in their “Free from” ranges which can be used in many baking recipes, or sugar free jelly can be a great alternative to sweets.
If you can’t resist the sweet stuff you can try some of these tips to keep your teeth healthy:
- Eat sweets and sugary treats shortly after mealtimes or have a set ‘Treat time’ rather than grazing throughout the day to avoid prolonged exposure to sugar.
- Don’t brush your teeth immediately after eating sugary treats. Allow about an hour for the enamel to re-harden. Drinking water of chewing sugar free gum can help reduce the effects of sugar acids during this time.
- Floss daily, before brushing to remove food particles between teeth.
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Don’t rinse, eat or drink for at least an hour after brushing.
- Visit your dentist at least every 6 months for a check up!